20 Things, Week 17

This week I finally got around to doing something I’ve wanted to do for a while; I wrote a Sudoku Solver in Python.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. At all. In fact, the more I look into it, the worse I fear it is. I’ve attempted this before, but I struck a minor obstacle with some Python syntax and did something else instead; this time, I’ve got the entire algorithm worked out and developed. There’s just some fairly significant logic bug(s) that’re causing problems. Re-reading the code, there’s also quite a bit of that which could do with a rewrite.

No matter! I’m pretty happy I got the majority of the work done, and I’ll keep working on it - a bit of refactoring should hopefully make the logical errors a bit more obvious.

Edit (Jan 21 2014): Fixed.